No open positions at this time. Please check back with us.
Learn new data management tools by documenting and archiving important ecological, physical, and social data from research projects focused on environmental issues (e.g., climate, fisheries, wildlife, geochemistry, etc.) in Alaska and the Arctic.
Work for these projects includes collaborative data management, data quality assurance, metadata creation, data transformation and formatting, and data entry to facilitate open, reproducible science. These positions involve communication with scientists for the purposes of data acquisition, formatting, and metadata creation to contribute to the NSF Arctic Data Center and the State of Alaska’s Salmon and People data catalogs. Additionally, interns may test and provide feedback on new infrastructure.
- Undergraduate or graduate student status at UC Santa Barbara
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Experience or interest in data management and/or analysis
- Careful attention to detail
- Ability to learn new tools quickly
- Ability to work well both independently and as a team member
- Experience using R
- Background or interest in ecology or environmental science
- Familiarity with metadata
- Experience with data formatting and metadata creation
Time commitment: 15-20 hours per week for at least two consecutive quarters.
Interns must complete their work at our offices in downtown Santa Barbara (735 State Street) during regular weekday business hours. Full-time students working in other UCSB departments more than 5 hours per week must secure written permission from their academic advisor to be eligible.
Internships are paid.
To apply, please attach a cover letter stating your interest in being a part of our team, along with a resume or CV, in an email to datainterns_recruitment [at] nceas.ucsb.edu. If you are applying to or currently hold another UC position, please indicate that in your cover letter. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until positions are filled.
Check out our Employment page for other data internships and job opportunities.