NCEAS Reporting Requirements
Data Information Policy  | Computing Survey | Publicity
The information you provide to us by reporting research results is key to measuring the effectiveness and impact of NCEAS. Results are also reported to the National Science Foundation, the State of California, and our other sponsors. We expect that you will report on your NCEAS-sponsored research throughout the lifespan of your project.
Reporting requirements include providing abstracts prior to the start of your project, an "exit summary" and other information when your work at the Center is finished, and ongoing reporting of products as they are published, such as journal articles, data sets, websites, presentations).
We provide here a "Quick Reference Guide" to required summaries and reports, as well as additional information and links to samples, forms and guidelines to assist you.
To submit summaries and reports, or to ask questions about reporting the products of your NCEAS research, please contact:
survey [at] nceas.ucsb.edu
The Center is committed to distributing your research findings widely. For information regarding press releases and other outreach to media outlets and the public, contact:
outreach [at] nceas.ucsb.edu (NCEAS Outreach)
Quick Reference Guide
Once your project is funded and before arriving at NCEAS, resident and visiting scientists should submit one of each of the following 3 summary types:
1. Scientific Abstract - Long version: This summary will be posted on the NCEAS web site and should provide other scientists with an overview of your project and its intended results. By default, we will use the abstract from your proposal, but you may edit it if you wish.
View Sample 
2. Scientific Abstract - Short version: Required for residents only - Postdoctoral Associates, Center Fellows, Center Associates, and Graduate Students. This summary will be posted outside your office at NCEAS. Due to formatting constraints, this summary must be limited to 80 words.
View Sample 
3. Public Summary: In addition to results intended for the scientific community, we seek public-friendly information on your research. The National Science Foundation, our primary funding agency, has encouraged us to extend our outreach efforts to increase the public understanding of science . We request that you provide us with summaries for the public, which we include in a Featured Research Underway  section on our website. This summary should be suitable for the educated public and for students. We suggest writing it at about an 8th grade reading level. Be sure to include a simple title, the motivation for your project, its relevance for the public, and, if you have them, a couple of photographs.
When completing your project (your last working group meeting or ending your stay as an NCEAS resident), please provide the following information within two weeks of departure:
1. Report Results/Products  : A list of publications and products, including publications in scientific journals and popular press, software, websites and data released to the public (include files or links to these products as appropriate). The effectiveness and influence of NCEAS are measured using these research products. Use the Report Results  form for listing products and submit to:
survey [at] nceas.ucsb.edu
Acknowledging NCEAS' contribution to your research in publications and reports is important and can be facilitated using one of our suggested acknowledgement formats .
3. Publicity: as you have new publications, please outreach [at] nceas.ucsb.edu (let us know) if you would like us to coordinate publicity. We are available to help you with press releases and other media outreach , or to help coordinate publicity with another institution providing your press release. If you have press releases prepared at other institutions we request that you mention NCEAS in the text of the press release, in addition to the financial acknowledgement  required at the end of the release.